Preparing for Your Tandem Skydive
Skydiving exerts a unique attraction and seems to have a captivating hold on those who pursue it as a profession or pastime. Tandem skydiving makes the experience available to non-skydivers, an impossibility in most other extreme sports. This ease of accessibility is also noteworthy because enjoying a solo freefall skydive requires completion of an extensive and expensive formal training and testing program.
The basic level of qualification is the United States Parachute Association Skydiving A License. This requires a training program and the completion of a minimum of 25 jumps. The student must demonstrate skill in 34 required areas listed on the USPA A License Proficiency Card plus pass written and oral exams. It generally costs well over $3000 dollars.
Contrast that with a tandem skydive at Skydive Key West, where a 20-minute briefing and our specially designed skydiving equipment are all you need to experience a 120 mph freefall and five to seven minute canopy ride back to earth with an expert tandem skydiving instructor. It’s a great opportunity you wouldn’t want to miss.
Get Ready to Jump
Now that you have decided to go for it, here are a few steps you can take to get the most out of your Key West skydiving experience:
- The first step is researching the best drop zone and you have that completed successfully. Besides having over 20 years of experience, Sky Dive Key West has an unblemished safety record and a tradition of excellent customer service that is noted on all the top online review sites. But the feature that sets us above all others is our location in the Florida Keys, one of the most scenic places in the world to skydive.
- Get a good night’s sleep before your jump. Relax in the evening then wake up to a light, nutritious breakfast. Expect some excitement and maybe a few jitters, so keep your stomach calm, not too empty and not too full. Although there is rarely ever any wait time at Skydive Key West, taking a few snacks along is not a bad idea.
- Dress for the weather, which is always nice in the Keys but can be cool at altitude. In hot weather, most people are fine in shorts and a t-shirt. Long pants, a long-sleeved t-shirt or light, close-fitting shell are good choices in the winter or if you like extra warmth. Avoid overly loose clothing and anything that can flap around under the high wind conditions of freefall. Sneakers are a must – you are engaging in an active sport and sandals will not do the job.
- Arrive at Skydive Key West at least 30 minutes before your reservation time to take care of paperwork and start your jump briefing. Come earlier if you like to enjoy the exciting atmosphere but do not be late.
- Breathe deeply, stay relaxed, and just enjoy the entire experience. Definitely get the photo and video package because you will want to relive your tandem skydive with family and friends.
Plan Your Tandem Skydive Now
You can begin the process of booking your jump through our website at any time, but a great way to ensure the ideal date and time is to arrange your tandem skydive while planning your Key West visit. Explore the Skydive Key West website then contact us at 305-396-8806 or [email protected] to make your reservations.